You’ll love this brilliant recipe hack for making crunchy, low-carb tortilla chips. Dip them into guacamole, serve with hot, cheesy, beef nachos or top with your favorite cheese.
I’m not sure I can really call this a recipe but I had to share this brilliant idea for making low-carb tortilla chips. Get your hands on some low-carb tortillas and they are a cinch.
Healthy Low-Carb Tortilla Chips are perfect for ketogenic diets and low-carb diets where regular tortillas chips are off the menu due to their high-carb content.
Make some homemade tortilla chips using store bought low-carb tortillas and enjoy that crispy, crack of chips that you miss on a keto diet.
They bake in 10 minutes and so are quick and the prep is so simple, your kids could do it (and I mean the little ones!)
There are so many ways to enjoy this lazy low-carb tortilla chips recipe:
- Dip into guacamole
- With low-carb dips eg. pesto, olive tapendade, salsa
- Dipped into cheesey queso dip
- With a slice of cheese
- Anywhere you’d normally use a cracker
Store bought low-carb tortilla – note that while they are low-carb, most are NOT gluten-free or grain-free:
- Mama Lupe Low Carb Tortillas – 3g net carbs per tortilla
- La Tortilla Factory Whole Wheat Low Carb Tortillas – 3g net carbs per tortilla
- Mission Carb Balance Soft Taco Flour Tortilla’s – 4-6g net carbs per tortilla, check packaging
- Mama Lupe Low Carb Tortillas (3g net carbs per tortilla)
- Carbzone Low Carb Tortilla 390 g (7g net carbs per tortilla)
- Mission Wraps Low Carb 288G from Woolworths (11g net carbs per tortilla – a little on the high side)
Store bought low-carb & gluten-free tortilla:
- Siete Foods Almond Flour Tortilla is grain free, however it is higher in carbs at 8g net carbs per tortillas.
Let us know in the comments below if you’ve found any low-carb tortilla brands that you love!
How to make Lazy Low-Carb Tortillas
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 350°F (180°c).
- Take out the tortillas and cut them up into small triangular shapes. Use a pair of kitchen scissors or a knife [images 1-2]
- You can also tear the tortillas up by hand for a more rustic look.
- Prepare a large baking sheet (you may need 2) by lining with parchment paper and lay the tortilla triangles out in a single layer.
- Brush the tortilla triangles with olive oil or your favorite oil and then flip the chips over and brush the other side with oil. [image 3]
- Sprinkle over a pinch of salt [image 4]
- Bake for 8-10 minutes in the oven until golden and crispy [image 5]
- Serve hot or after cooled with guacamole, beef nachos. dips, cheese and antipasto. [image 6]
Cooking Tips & Tricks for Easy Low-Carb Tortilla Chips (Keto)
- Leftover tortilla chips? Store in an airtight container for 1-2 days at room temperature
- Make ahead? Keto tortilla chips are their best and crispiest on the day that they are made but will keep for a day or 2
- Gluten-free? Most low-carb tortillas are NOT gluten-free so be sure to check labels. Try the Siete brand almond flour tortillas
CAN I EAT TORTILLA CHIPS ON A LOW-CARB DIET?
Regular tortilla chips are off limits on a low-carb or keto diet because they contain high amounts of carbohydrates. As carbohydrates are limited on a low-carb diet to between 20-50g net carbs per day, eating tortilla chips would blow out your daily allowance. There is, however, a simple low-carb alternative. Try making your own simply by baking some oiled low-carb tortillas in the oven at 350F (180c) for 8-10 minutes.
IS THERE A LOW-CARB TORTILLA?
Yes, there are several low-carb tortillas available to purchase. Regular flour and corn tortillas contain 12-15g net carbs each so are not particularly low-carb. Store bought low-carb tortillas range from 3-6g net carbs per tortilla. Look for brands such as La Tortilla Factory, Mission, and Mama Lupe.
If you want a store bought gluten-free option, try Siete Foods Almond Flour Tortilla which is grain free, however it is higher in carbs at 8g net carbs per tortillas. Maybe just for special occasions or on carb up days.
If you want to make your own keto-friendly tortillas, check out the recipe for Almond Flour Keto Tortilla Recipe over at My PCOS Kitchen.
HOW MANY CARBS ARE IN TORTILLA CHIPS?
Regular store bought tortilla chips contain 15-20g net carbs per 28g (that’s about 11 chips).
Our lazy, low-carb version has 6g of net carbs for one tortilla made into chips.
For more snack ideas, check out our post: 101 Easy Low-Carb Snacks (That Real People Eat) and download the FREE printable list.
Looking for more fun low-carb snacks to make?
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
101 Easy Low Carb Snacks FREE Cheat Sheet
Get my FREE printable cheatsheet with no less than 101 of my GO-TO keto-approved snacks. Print or download to your phone for easy access!
You'll also receive FREE 30-minute keto recipes, inspiration and our latest posts straight to your inbox…
Lazy Low-Carb Tortilla Chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180c).
- Tear up the tortillas into pieces or cut with scissors into triangles.
- Lay on a baking sheet in a single layer and brush both sides with the oil.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until they have crisped up nicely.
- Enjoy with some guacamole, beef nachos, dips or cheese.
This post was originally published in March of 2017, but was republished with step by step instructions and tips in October of 2018.
This post contains affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission if you purchase some items. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. Small commissions like this help to support this blog and my bulletproof coffee habit…