Skillet Steak with Mushroom Sauce
A tender, juicy skillet steak smothered in a mouthwatering mushroom cream sauce that comes together in just 30-minutes. This easy recipe has something for everyone - whether ketogenic, low-carb, gluten-free or none of the above!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Add oil and butter to cast iron or other heavy bottomed skillet and heat over high heat
Sprinkle steak with a few pinches of salt and pepper and add to skillet
Sear on each side until browned and caramelized, about 3-4 minutes per side
Remove steak from skillet and set aside
Add mushrooms, shallots, garlic and seasoning to skillet
Saute for 2-3 minutes until mushrooms start to soften
Add broth and allow to simmer for 5 minutes until it reduces in half
Stir in cream and add steak back to skillet
Allow to simmer until steak is cooked to preferred doneness (check with meat thermometer)
approximately 2-4 more minutes
- Steak thickness? Try to find thin steak (1/2 inch or 1.5cm) to keep the cooking time down
- Mushrooms dry when cooking? Add a little more oil to the pan if needed
- Serving kids - leave the steak to rest for 5 minutes and then slice the steak into smaller pieces
- Too much sauce? This recipe makes a generous quantity of mushroom sauce. If you won't use it all, for example, if serving children, reduce the amount of cream. Try 1/2-3/4 cup of cream.
- Leftover steak? Steak can be kept for 3-4 days in the fridge
- Leftover mushroom gravy? Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. The sauce is delicious served with chicken or white fish.
- Freeze the mushroom sauce? Leftover sauce can also be frozen
- No shallots? Use onion instead
Calories: 828kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 65g | Saturated Fat: 31g | Cholesterol: 278mg | Sodium: 413mg | Potassium: 1325mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 21.4% | Vitamin C: 6% | Calcium: 13.7% | Iron: 24.2%