Another Summer Mediterranean classic, this 30 Minute Low-Carb Summer Chicken Tray Bake is one of those dishes that I turn to again and again. The reason is that it delivers maximum flavor and taste in 30 minutes. It’s also low-carb with only 8 g of net carbs per serving as well as being dairy-free and gluten-free.
I’ve been cooking various versions of this recipe for years and it is such a perfect low-carb summer dish. It’s got all the great Mediterranean flavors like olives, tomatoes, lemon, and prosciutto. There’s no need to cook a vegetable side dish as you roast tomatoes and asparagus along with the chicken. It couldn’t be easier. Spend less time cooking and more time enjoying time with friends and family!
Low-Carb Summer Chicken Tray Bake Variation Ideas
To make variations of this dish, you could add different vegetables such as cauliflower or broccoli. It’s also lovely if you throw in some woody fresh Mediterranean herbs such as oregano and thyme, with the tomatoes at the start. You could use different types of olives or try pancetta instead of the prosciutto.
To serve, this dish works beautifully with some Parmesan cheese grated over the top (skip if dairy-free) and a few torn basil leaves scattered over.
Low-Carb Tip For Choosing Tomatoes
Yellow tomatoes are lower in carbs than red and green tomatoes, so buy yellow where possible! I learned this from Maria Emmerich. Here are the stats for 1 Cup of tomatoes from Mariamindbodyhealth.com:
|Carbs per cup||Total Carbs||Fiber||Net Carbs|
For more info on the foods that you can eat on a low-carb diet click here.
To Get Access To Lots More Low-Carb 30 Minute Recipes, Follow Us On Pinterest!
30 Minute Low-Carb Summer Chicken Tray Bake
Preheat the oven to 400F (200c).
- Place the tomatoes, asparagus and 1 tbsp oil in a baking tray and toss to coat. Bake for 5 minutes.
- While the vegetables are baking, place a large frypan over high heat.
- Wrap each chicken piece in 1 or 2 slices of prosciutto and season with pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil and cook chicken/prosciutto parcel for 1 minute on each side or until browned.
- Add the chicken to the baking tray with the vegetables and add the olives.
- Pour in the stock and lemon juice.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with lemon wedges, and basil leaves.
Optional - serve with grated parmesan if eating dairy.
Adapted from Chicken Saltimbocca Tray Bake at Taste.com.au