Keto Prosciutto Wrapped Italian Chicken delivers maximum Mediterranean flavor in just ONE PAN. Nestle tomatoes, olives and asparagus around a centerpiece of prosciutto-wrapped chicken and take a trip to Italy tonight!
This is a really fun oven baked chicken recipe that I’ve been cooking various versions of for years.
If you’re looking for an easy keto chicken recipe for dinner then this one ticks all the boxes.
Easy? Yes, the recipe uses simple everyday ingredients and ONE PAN.
Quick? Yep, it’s ready in 30 minutes and uses only one pan so less washing up!
Tasty? Of course. This quick chicken dish has layers of flavor to tempt your taste buds. Bold prosciutto combined with delicate chicken breast and the salty olives bring this Italian chicken recipe to life.
Add in the tomatoes and a generous grating of parmesan cheese and you’re driving a moped down the Via Del Corso.
Low-Carb? The recipe is low-carb, keto diet friendly and gluten-free too.
There’s no need to cook a vegetable side dish as you roast tomatoes and asparagus along with the chicken. It couldn’t be easier.
Swap in other vegetables that you like – see Cooking Tips below for suggestions.
I’ve often thought of this as a summer recipe because of the Italian flavors and ingredients. But the reality is that I cook this dish all year round or at least anytime that asparagus and tomatoes are plentiful.
Wrapped chicken recipes are a fun way to get kids involved in the kitchen
Ask the kids to help wrap each chicken piece with the prosciutto.
It doesn’t need to be too precise because the dish is cooked in the one pan. If a piece of prosciutto falls off, it will still cook nicely in the pan, whether it’s attached to the chicken or not!
If you’re looking for more quick, healthy, keto chicken recipes, try our 30-Minute Low-Carb Butter Chicken Curry.
How to make Easy Prosciutto Wrapped Italian Chicken
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F (200°c)
- Place a large oven-proof frypan over medium-high heat
- Slice the chicken breast in half horizontally and then lengthways again to create large strips. Or chicken can be simply cut in half lengthways to form larger steaks. Chicken tenderloins can also be used. [image 2]
- Wrap each chicken piece in 1-2 slices of prosciutto. While this seems a bit “fancy”, it does not need to be precise at all. Your kids could do it! [image 3]
- Heat the olive oil [image 4] and add the chicken parcels. Cook for about 1 minute per side or until browned [image 5]
- Remove pan from the heat and add tomatoes, asparagus, and olives [image 6]
- Pour the stock and lemon juice evenly over the chicken and vegetables [image 7]
- Bake in the oven (if using an oven-proof fry-pan or skillet) for 13 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. No oven-proof pan? Transfer the browned chicken to a baking dish and add the rest of the ingredients to the baking dish before baking in the oven for 13-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves over the top to serve [image 8]
Cooking Tips & Tricks for Keto Wrapped Italian Chicken
- Tip for preparing asparagus – to trim asparagus quickly, simply bend the stem at the woody, thicker end, and it will break off. Discard the thick end.
- Serving carb eaters? Serve with garlic bread for carb eaters or crusty bread
- No ovenproof skillet? Transfer the browned chicken to a baking dish and add the tomatoes, asparagus and olives. Pour in the stock and lemon juice and bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Dairy-free? Skip the parmesan cheese and sprinkle over some fresh basil leaves
- Leftovers? The prosciutto wrapped chicken is delicious reheated the next day for lunch. It will keep in the fridge for 2 days.
- Different vegetables? Instead of asparagus and tomatoes, try adding broccoli florets, bell peppers cut into thin strips, sliced onion or zucchini rounds or sticks.
- Want to use bacon instead? Secure bacon strips to the chicken breast with toothpicks and allow 2 minutes per side to brown in the frypan. As the bacon is thicker than prosciutto, the chicken may take slightly longer to cook.
HOW DO YOU MAKE BACON WRAPPED CHICKEN?
Wrap bacon strips around chicken breasts and secure with toothpicks. Cook for 2 minutes per side to brown in an ovenproof frypan. Transfer pan to the oven at 200°F and cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HAM AND PROSCIUTTO?
Prosciutto and ham are both made from the hind leg of a pig but prosciutto has been dry cured using salt and occasionally spices. The prosciutto is air-dried for varying lengths of time from a few months to years and usually served uncooked. It can be eaten uncooked due to the lengthy curing process. Ham can be wet or dry cured and it is sometimes smoked.
HOW MUCH CARBOHYDRATE IS IN TOMATOES?
One cup of red cherry tomatoes contains 4.8g of net carbs. Yellow tomatoes have the lowest amount of carbohydrates at 3.1g net carbs per cup. Tomatoes are considered to have a moderate amount of carbohydrates so you need to keep an eye on quantities if you are watching your carb intake. Tinned tomatoes also contain a moderate amount of carbs so use in moderation.
Yellow tomatoes are lower in carbs than red and green tomatoes, so buy yellow where possible!
They are great for low-carb and ketogenic diets in small amounts.
Here are the stats for 1 Cup of tomatoes from Mariamindbodyhealth.com
|Carbs per cup||Total Carbs||Fiber||Net Carbs|
For more info on the foods that you can eat on a low-carb diet click here.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Get FREE 30-Minute Low-Carb Recipes
You'll also receive our FREE 100 Ketogenic Foods List PDF
Low-Carb Prosciutto Wrapped Italian Chicken
Low-Carb Prosciutto Wrapped Italian Chicken delivers maximum Mediterranean flavor in just ONE PAN. Nestle tomatoes, olives and asparagus around a centerpiece of prosciutto-wrapped chicken and take a trip to Italy tonight!
Preheat the oven to 400F (200c)
Place a large oven-proof frypan over medium-high heat
Wrap each chicken piece in 1 or 2 slices of prosciutto and season with pepper
Heat 1 tbsp of the oil and cook chicken/prosciutto parcel for 1 minute on each side or until browned
Remove pan from heat and add the tomatoes, asparagus and olives to the pan
Pour in the stock and lemon juice
Bake for 13 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through
Serve with freshly grated parmesan and basil leaves
Tip for preparing asparagus - to trim asparagus quickly, simply bend the stem at the woody, thicker end, and it will break off. Discard the thick end.
Serving carb eaters? Serve with garlic bread for carb eaters or crusty bread
No ovenproof skillet? Transfer the browned chicken to a baking dish and add the tomatoes, asparagus and olives. Pour in the stock and lemon juice and bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Dairy-free? Skip the parmesan cheese and sprinkle over some fresh basil leaves
Leftovers? The prosciutto wrapped chicken is delicious reheated the next day for lunch. It will keep in the fridge for 2 days.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
This post was originally published in July of 2017, but was republished with simplifications to the recipe, step by step instructions and extra tips in September of 2018.
This post contains affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission from each sale. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. Small commissions like this help to support this blog and my bulletproof coffee habit…