Taco Tuesday comes around so fast these days! I love having a few good low-carb Mexican style dishes up my sleeve for those nights when you want something quick, easy and that the whole family will love. Tacos or burritos are high up there on my kids’ favorite meal list so we often have them once a week. This Low-Carb Taco Burrito Bowl will be ready in under 30 minutes and has only 10g of net carbs.
When The Rest Of Your Family Like Their Carbs…
Burritos or tacos are an excellent choice if the rest of your family eat carbs. These are easy to tailor to everyone’s tastes as you can serve everything in bowls at the table for self-service:
- taco meat sauce
- warmed taco shells (for the carb eaters)
- sour cream
- jalapeno chilies etc.
These self-serve meals are a real winner with the kids. They love serving themselves and feeling like they have control over their meal.
For the low-carbers, just make yourself a Low-Carb Taco Burrito Bowl and ignore those taco shells.
If you really want a taco shell, try making a low-carb version from cheese. Click here to find out how.
For more ideas for on what to serve when the rest of your family eats carbs, check out our post:
How To Make Low-Carb Burritos
For burritos, grab some low-carb tortillas and fill with the taco meat sauce and other goodies. If you are looking to keep your meal very low carb (under 10g) you will need to reduce the sour cream and avocado serving size to bring the carbs down.
Have Dinner Ready in 10 Minutes…
Make up an extra batch of the taco meat sauce and freeze. Defrost, reheat in the microwave or stovetop and prep your vegetables etc and dinner is served!
I also like to freeze the sauce in smaller portions for kids only sized servings.
Low-Carb Taco Burrito Bowl
- 2 cups lettuce
- 1 tomato
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 2 medium avocados
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup jalapenos
- Place a frypan over medium-high heat, add the oil and onion. Cook for 2 minutes until softened.
- While onion is cooking chop the cilantro.
- Add the ground beef, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon and cook for about 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add spices, salt and pepper, tomato paste and ½ cup water.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for at least 5 mins (or leave to simmer until ready to serve).
- Stir in the cilantro.
- While the meat is simmering, prepare the toppings.
- Finely chop the tomato and add some salt and pepper.
- Slice the lettuce into strips, slice the avocado.
- When the beef sauce is ready, add to your bowl and layer up with tomato, avocado, lettuce, cheese, sour cream and jalapenos.
Optional extras - a squeeze of lime.
If you liked this recipe, please consider rating the recipe and leaving a comment below!