Looking for an easy recipe for holiday entertaining that is also low-carb? These one-bite Low-Carb Smoked Salmon Blinis are the perfect hors-d’oeuvre to serve or take to your next holiday party.
It’s difficult to stick to low-carb eating during the festive season, so make something keto-friendly to share with your friends and family.
The blinis are made using coconut flour so they are also gluten-free.
This recipe is so easy to make.
The blinis or mini-pancakes can be made a day ahead, leaving you to add the smoked salmon, cream cheese and dill on the day.
They are the perfect make ahead appetizer.
How to make Keto Smoked Salmon Blinis
Cooking Tips & Tricks for Speedy Low-Carb Smoked Salmon Blinis
- How big should blinis be? The best size for bite-sized blinis, perfect to serve as an hors-d’oeuvre is about 1 to 1.5 inch (3-4cm) diameter in size
- Blinis fragile? The blinis are still fragile when cooking on the first side. When they are nicely browned, flip very carefully as the uncooked size will still be quite moist. Turn them carefully with a spatula to ensure they stay together. They will be very solid after cooked on both sides.
- How do I know the blinis are cooked? If you aren’t sure if they have cooked through, test one by cutting in half and it will no longer be moist (batter still visible) inside
- Blinis fall apart when flipping? You may need to cook them at higher heat or for longer before turning
- Leftover blinis? Store leftover blinis (with or without toppings) in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Make ahead? Make the blinis a day ahead and store in an airtight container in the fridge. The cream cheese mixture can also be made the day before. Add the toppings to the blinis up to an hour or two before serving.
For some great ideas on how to survive the holiday season (or any party) on a low-carb diet, check out these posts:
Some other low-carb recipes for entertaining:
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Get FREE 30-Minute Low-Carb Recipes
You'll also receive our FREE 100 Ketogenic Foods List PDF
Low-Carb Smoked Salmon Blinis
- Mix together in a bowl, the coconut flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the eggs and stir gently till combined.
- Pour in the melted butter (2 tbsp)
- Now add in the milk gradually, stirring until combined after each addition.
- Continue to add the milk until it is combined and the batter is thick.
- Heat a frypan to medium heat and add a tsp butter.
- Using a teaspoon, add a dollop of batter about 1 to 1.5 inch (3-4cm) diameter in size to the frypan and press down with the back of the spoon to form a flat round shape. Continue to add teaspoons of batter till pan is filled.
- Cook for about 2 mins or until browned and then very carefully flip and cook for another 1-2 mins on the other side.
- Place cooked blinis on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Add another tsp butter to the pan and cook another batch of blinis. Continue until all the batter is used.
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese with 1 tbsp lemon juice.
- Top each blini with some of the cream cheese mixture, smoked salmon and dill.
Based on a recipe from http://annavocino.com/
- The best size for bite-sized blinis, perfect to serve as an hors-d'oeuvre is about 1 to 1.5 inch (3-4cm) diameter in size
- The blinis are still fragile when cooking on the first side. When they are nicely browned, flip very carefully as the uncooked size will still be quite moist. Turn them carefully with a spatula to ensure they stay together. They will be very solid after cooked on both sides.
- If you aren't sure if they have cooked through, test one by cutting in half and it will no longer be moist (batter still visible) inside
- If blinis fall apart when flipping, you may need to cook them at higher heat or for longer before turning
This post was originally published in December of 2016, but was updated with extra cooking tips in April of 2019.
This post contains affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission if you purchase some items. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. Small commissions like this help to support this blog and my bulletproof coffee habit…
101 Easy Low Carb Snacks FREE Cheat Sheet
Get my FREE printable cheatsheet with no less than 101 of my GO-TO keto-approved snacks. Print or download to your phone for easy access!
You'll also receive FREE 30-minute keto recipes, inspiration and our latest posts straight to your inbox…